Friday, October 30, 2009

H1N1 Madness

I know this is a "healthcare reform" blog, but I feel I cannot address healthcare without addressing the ever popular subject of the "swine flu". I read an article recently addressing the major shortage of H1N1 vaccines and the ever-growing panic that is ensuing because of it. According the an article from the New York Times, the government is already behind on its promises of the vaccine by 30%. Let's be honest though, is the swine flu as big of a problem that we made it out to be?

Yes, it is invading our college campuses nationwide and affecting a different age group than most flus, but has it turned out to be as deadly as we thought? The answer is no. It is unfortunate that a younger generation is more prone to the virus, but it is not as huge of an issue as it was made out to be at the start. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention the most common symptoms are no worse than a cold, which include sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, headaches and chills. Most patients with more severe complications have another underlying condition that makes them more succeptible to respiratory problems.

I feel like instead of panicing because of lack of vaccinations, we should be educating those younger people that are at risk. Schools should be promoting vigorous hygeine guidelines and should be keeping those infected out of classrooms. Prevention would help cushion the lack of vaccinations and allow the pharmaceutical companies the chance to catch up with demand. Once supply is back up, those panicky mothers can go right back to the doctor and demand the life-saving vaccine for their children who have probably already come in contact with the horrible "swine flu" if not had it themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment